Community Organizer- Washington, D.C. (Amharic Speaking)
African Communities Together is a membership organization of African immigrants in the New York City and Washington, D.C. areas. ACT empowers African immigrants to integrate socially, get ahead economically, and engage civically. ACT connects African immigrants to services, develops our members as grassroots leaders, and takes action to make social change.
ACT is hiring a Community Organizer who will be principally responsible for ACT’s member organizing and leadership development in the Washington, D.C. area. ACT’s inaugural campaign in the D.C. area will focus on organizing low-wage workers who are predominantly Ethiopian.
The Community Organizer will:
- Recruit constituents to join and participate in ACT’s programs, campaigns, and memberships through one-on-one and group outreach.
- Support ACT members to develop as leaders through skills training, political education, and participation in organizational leadership.
- Mobilize members to take action in grassroots campaigns.
- Develop and support member committees and other leadership structures.
The position is full-time and salaried. Compensation will be determined based on candidate experience, and will include employer-paid health benefits.
- Fluency in both English and Amharic.
- At least 2-5 years of experience working with African immigrant members, clients, or constituents in organizing, activism, advocacy, or direct service.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in a professional office environment, including familiarity with computers, email, internet, and databases.
- Ability to succeed in a “startup” community organization environment, including accountability to goals, a sense of drive and urgency, and the ability to work independently, take on multiple roles, and prioritize. Ability to work evenings, weekends, and long or irregular hours when the work requires it.
- Position is a “field” outreach position that requires regular local travel and moderate physical activity. Transportation expenses will be reimbursed.
- Alignment with ACT’s mission and values.
- Prior training or professional experience in grassroots organizing, membership recruitment, leadership development, and campaign leadership.
- Fluency in other widely spoken African languages.
- Experience training, supporting, and supervising volunteers.
ACT is an affirmative action employer, and strongly supports the social goals of affirmative action. We therefore make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are historically under-represented in professional environments, or that suffer from broader societal discrimination.
To apply, please email a resume or CV along with a cover letter describing your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "DC Community Organizer" in the subject line. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications by July 24, 2015; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No calls, please.