Immigration Paralegal (Bilingual Amharic)
African Communities Together (ACT) is a non-profit organization of immigrants from Africa and their families, serving African communities in the New York and Washington, DC metro areas through immigration legal services, community organizing, and advocacy.
ACT is hiring an Amharic-speaking Immigration Paralegal to work in our DC office on a part-time basis. The successful candidate will report to the Legal Director.
Working under the supervision of the Legal Director, the Immigration Paralegal will:
• Serve as the first point of contact for all client inquiries.
• Manage, populate, and maintain client appointment.
• Case management –research, prepare and file petition, populate client’s information in database, and execute tasks necessary to close the case.
• Ensure timely responses to clients to ensure customer satisfaction and conflict resolution.
• Perform tasks in support of community legal clinics and Know Your Rights presentations.
• Bilingual in English and Amharic.
• Undergraduate degree required.
• At least 2 years of experience with immigration legal practice, preferably with low-income clients. Experience with affirmative and defensive application for humanitarian relief (particularly asylum), family-based applications, and naturalization application highly desirable.
• Experience and cultural competence with African immigrant communities.
• Organized and detailed-oriented.
• Great time management skills.
• Interested in helping and making a positive difference within the African immigrant community.
• Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, scanners, and copier experience
• Excellent written and verbal English language skills
Please send resume and brief statement of interest to email@example.com. Applicants are encouraged to apply by November 1, 2017, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please no telephone or drop-in inquiries.