African Communities Together is currently seeking dynamic candidates who are passionate about organizing African immigrant communities for two exciting opportunities: an NYIC AmeriCorps/VISTA volunteer and a Summer Youth Organizer.
NYIC AmeriCorps/VISTA Volunteer
NYIC VISTAs are AmeriCorps VISTAs who - through the New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) - engage in a year of full-time paraprofessional service in a host organization.
African Communities Together will be hosting a NYIC VISTA from August 29, 2015 to August 28, 2016. ACT's VISTA will work on communications/outreach, including social media and website management, writing, in-person outreach to African immigrants, and administrative support.
The NYIC VISTA at African Communities Together will be supported with:
- Professional development and training through NYIC, AmeriCorps/VISTA, and African Communities Together.
- A modest living allowance (stipend), as determined by AmeriCorps/VISTA policies.
- Health coverage.
- Option of either an end-of-year stipend payment or education award.
How to Apply
- Create an account at https://my.americorps.gov/ and log in.
- Visit the My AmeriCorps opportunity listing for the position
- Click on "Apply Now"
Applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP, as interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. To learn more about other NYIC VISTA opportunities, please click here. In order to be eligible for a VISTA position, an applicant must be a U.S. citizen, national or permanent legal resident.
Summer Youth Organizer
Thanks to a generous grant from the New York Foundation, ACT is able to offer a 10 week paid internship in community organizing to one outstanding young person.
The Summer Youth Organizer will participate and train in the skills of community outreach, mobilization, and grassroots leadership development. Duties will include outreach, community surveying, member communication, contact data management, and event coordination.
- Must have a passion for African community organizing/activism, as demonstrated by a history of community involvement.
- Must be a youth aged 18-23.
- U.S. work authorization required.
- Must be available to work full time for 10 weeks, beginning no later than June 22 (exact start and end dates are negotiable).
- Work schedule may require irregular hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- The Summer Youth Organizer is an outreach position, and will require regular local travel and work in the field/outside of the office.
- Fluency in English required; fluency in French and/or African languages highly desirable.
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position. Please no calls.